Curriculum Update: Summative Assessments
Every student learns and demonstrates knowledge differently. As a result, it’s helpful to have assessment options as you work to gain insight into your classroom.
We’ve always been passionate about providing high quality curriculum materials, and we understand that there are many ways to measure computer science learning. Ellipsis curriculum already includes formative assessments, projects, discussions, and now – we’re launching optional summative assessments to round out this suite of materials!
Computer Science Courses Included
Now, every Ellipsis course has an optional summative assessment. The following courses are included in this launch:
- CS Fundamentals 3
- CS Fundamentals 4
- CS Fundamentals 5
- Intro to CS Applications 6
- CS Applications Java
- HSCS Python
- HSCS Java
Exploring Computer Science Assessments
Here is the first page of a summative assessment from Computer Science Fundamentals 3. This PDF can be printed and passed out to students during class:
Then, when it comes time to grade, you can access computer science test questions and answers in the answer key:
We know grading can be a pain, but these two documents help it take just a little less time!
Where to Find Summative Assessments
When you log in to Ellipsis curriculum using the Curriculum Delivery Platform, you’ll land on the courses page.
- Click on any course included in this launch.
- On the right side of the screen, find “Summative Assessment Questions”. (Hint – it’s located right below the Course Description.)
- There, you’ll find your computer science questions and answers PDF.
How to Use Summative Assessments
Summative assessments can serve multiple purposes throughout the course:
- They can be used at the beginning of a course as a pre-assessment to gauge student’s prior knowledge of computer science.
- They can be provided to students at the end of the course to measure student growth and acquired knowledge.
- They can be provided as a computer science practice test as a study tool for students.
See for Yourself
Explore summative assessments in a free trial of Ellipsis Education curriculum. In this 30 day preview, you’ll see sample lessons from each grade-level differentiated course, syllabus, pacing guide, standards map, and more!