Deepen existing computer science skills and interest in programming. Learn fundamental computer science concepts using Java, an advanced line coding language. Explore loops, objects, methods, and classes. Develop computational thinking skills by building fitness trackers, basic calculators, and music applications, among others. Unplugged and Digital Citizenship lessons explore incorporating feedback, physical security measures, and a variety of STEM careers. At the end of this course, students will have practiced the computational thinking and analytical skills needed to prepare for AP Computer Science at the high school level.
Each lesson plan is designed to enable students to achieve specific learning outcomes related to course aligned computer science competencies. For example, at the end of this course students will be able to:
- Explain and establish variables of different data types.
- Construct and manipulate values by implementing arithmetic operators and mathematical methods.
- Seek and incorporate feedback to refine a program.
- Apply knowledge of conditionals to create a software program that serves a given purpose.
- Establish classes in code to create objects with specific attributes.
- Explain how physical security measures protect electronic devices and information.
- Teacher training videos
- Summative assessments
- Formative assessments
- Customized standards map
- Step-by-step lesson plans
- Pacing guide
- Teacher and student slide decks
- English language learner supplemental teaching guides
- Vocabulary words and definitions
- Coding lessons
- Unplugged lessons
- Digital Citizenship lessons
- STEM Career lessons
- Hardware integrations
“If I can teach this stuff, literally anyone could.”
— Amy Giba, STEM Teacher
“The kids get fired up because they can see the connections.”
— Collin Yust, 3rd Grade Teacher
Core Pillars of Ellipsis Education
Not every student loves to code, and that’s ok. That’s why the Core Pillars of Ellipsis Education are at the center of every course. Each pillar includes activities built to engage every learning style in the classroom.